Monday, July 14, 2008

Forward Firing Pit: Lost Fort of The Carolinas


This was the most convincing part of hwat I've found so far. It is the forward firing pit. I've placed my "snake stick" in the leading edge showing just a portion of depth. This forward firing pit was deep enough to allow a man to stand and fire a rifle toward the shore, which lies 100 yards from the leading dune from the beach. This is a large complex, and I was only able to get to the forward firing pit on the first expedition to the site. This first expedition was to determine the right equipment needed to fully determine the extent of this large complex. This fort appears on none of the known battle maps from the Civil War. Through research I have determined that this is because of confusion about what was where during 1861 to 1864 when the site was abandoned. As far as I know I was the first to revisit this remote location, with knoweldge of what it was, in 160 years.

No comments: